POINTS IN FAVOUR OF CANNABIS LEGALISATION
- Over £16,000,000,000 (16 Billion) is spent in the UK fighting ‘drugs’ annually.
- Millions are criminalised - over 1 million in the last 30 years. Prison sentences, including those for non-payment of fines, lead to family break-ups and all the problems associated with imprisonment.
- Millions risk their health by consuming cannabis of uncontrolled and doubtful purity i.e. there is no quality control.
- No adequate research can be conducted on the therapeutic uses of natural cannabis. Seriously ill people are prohibited from a beneficial medicine.
- The Government receives no revenue. The ‘criminals’ make all the profits. Legal cannabis would mean that the profits are taxable.
- The industrial uses of cannabis are virtually ignored at the cost of environmental disaster. The world starves because the seed cannot be legally grown in most countries. We are exhausting fossil fuels and using dangerous radioactive materials to produce energy and run cars which could be done of the Eco-friendly cannabis plant. Factories pump chemicals such as dioxins into our land in order to produce paper from wood pulp; this could be stopped using cannabis instead of trees. The plant is quick-growing, which would help to counteract the Greenhouse Effect. When cannabis biomass fuel is burned it releases only the carbon dioxide which it recently absorbed whilst growing, whereas the CO2 release by burning fossil fuels (petrol, coal etc) was absorbed millions of years ago.
- People requiring a relaxant can only choose alcohol, which is far more dangerous than any amount of cannabis.
- The illegal cannabis market mixes it with the supply of hard drugs.
- The law invades people's privacy and prevents them from their pursuit of happiness, freedom of religious practice and freedom of lifestyle granted under the United Nations Human Rights Charter
How Cannabis Works