Friday 5 August 2022

August 1972: Consulting the I Ching in Kabul at Sigis: Diane remains resolute

  Taken From All About My Hat The Hippy Trail 1972 ISBN 978-0993210716 

Then came the day that Diane was given her replacement passport – now she just needed the entry visa.

That same day in the morning there was a message at reception for Al to go back to the embassy.

Off he went. Things are working out,” he thought. He took a taxi to the embassy, just to be positive.

Al arrived at the embassy and was shown in to the office he had been in previously and met the same embassy official.

The guy told Al that the authorities had been in touch with Al's parents and they had sent some money, £170, enough for a flight back to London and some change.

Well,” thought Al, “that's about six weeks wages for Dad.”

Then he thought: “Well God, if you are there, please let them be able to afford that, not let them get into debt.” (I can tell you now as it seems the best time, but Al did not know for weeks afterwards, that round about that time they had had a small win on the “football pools” whatever that is – it was in fact as if his prayer had been answered.)

Al told the embassy chap that he did not want to spend all that money getting home and agreed to take seventy pounds in cash, English money, and leave the rest at the embassy.

That way,” he said, “I can get home and get my friend Diane home too.”

He took the money and arranged that he could get the rest transferred to any country on route or get it refunded to his parents.

He already had his visa, Diane had her passport, all that was needed was to make the return bus ride to the border.

He went back to meet Diane at Sigis restaurant, that had become their regular haunt. They would go for a “slap-up” meal.


 

After a milk shake and a smoke, Al found the name of a good restaurant and took Diane for a big meal. Well, it ended up that the only vegetarian food available in this top restaurant in a big hotel, was Kabuli rice with vegetables on the side, yoghurt, bread and fruit. They could have eaten exactly the same in a local cheap restaurant for a fifth of the price and in a better atmosphere.

Al said to Diane, “So tomorrow morning we can get the bus to the border and back and sort out your visa, then we can get tickets and head back across Iran. It'll be fun.”

I've told you loads of times, don't you listen,” she said, “I'm not going, it's stupid, they know I am here. If they say I can't get out of the country without a stamp to say I came in, that's just daft! So what I can't even fly out. What about if they wanted to kick me out, they'd soon do that. End of!”

The following morning, Al got himself up and when he woke Diane, told her if she wanted to go to the border today, get up and go with him.

Diane refused. They had a noisy row.

Al realised that she was not going to cooperate.

Al turned to his "I Ching" and, throwing three Afghani coins, asked "what should I do? Stay with Diane or make the journey home alone?"


 

It seemed very sound and clear advice from the book that he had to make the journey home; the alternative suggested led to disaster.

Later that day he told Diane “Tomorrow I am getting up and going to the bus station. If you want to come, we will go to the border. If not, I'm going to catch a bus to Herat

Look, here is half my money that's left, thirty pounds” handing her the English notes and a few Afghani notes.

So it's up to you. Fifty pounds should get us both back to London if we share.”

Thanks,” she said, “Maybe I'll see you in England one day. I'm not going to the Pakistan border and if they aren't going to let me out to Iran, I'll have to stay here.”

Al struggled but he could not understand why she was being so stubborn, it was only a bus ride.

If I stay here I am going to die,” he said.

After that they did not talk about it and drifted back to a day at Sigis getting high.


 

1 comment:

  1. yes i remember the name sigis in kabul 1971 1972

    ReplyDelete