Saturday, 26 September 2026

The Travellers' Trick - a song with words by Alun Buffry

 

I wrote this in 1985 in Pokhara, Nepal - here are the original words, music and vocals by ai to produce this song


THE TRAVELLERS' TRICK

As the Mind flies so the Bird walks to the mountain, OR Zen and the Art of Being Lazy

(a postcard from Pokhara)

by Alun Buffry

Today, outside, the weather is hazy.

Stayed in all day, feeling quite lazy.

Where to go now, we talk and talk,

Then decide it's too far to walk.

Two hours there and two hours back,

"Let's stay right here, and have a snack".

Just fifteen minutes to Cafe Baba.

And we know that there, food's better by far,

but here we eat, for our stomachs sake,

whatever's handy, whatever's easy to make.

"Well", I say, "I guess that's what

A holiday's for on a day that's hot."

"We're free, we don't have to do a thing.

We can fly like a bird with a broken wing."

"How can that be, such a bird can't fly?"

"We can't do much either and here is why-

'Cos - cor it's hot outside today you see,

And wherever we go costs a fee",

Or "My leg's aching, my knee feels weak,

there's nothing in the bazaar we seek."

"Stomach queasy, or head aching?

Let's be another chillum, I'm Making."

Then, "Let's go for a boatride!"

"No, I won't row!"

"Let's climb that mountain, look at the snow!"

Oh, if only we could get up there and back,

Without walking the whole mountain track.

If you close your eyes and lay on your bed,

You can go anywhere inside your head.

If you know how to master the Traveller's Trick,

You'll be there in an instant and back just as quick.

Close your eyes, let the whole world spin,

The Journey's done before you begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, thanks, I find it encouraging