Friday 4 March 2022

50 Years ago - problem with dates

50 years ago: I just can't seem to think that we spent just a few days in Germany and then a few hours in Austria and three weeks in Yugoslavia, although that is what the passport stamps suggest, that we passed through Spielfeld on March 1st 1972 but did not pass through Eyzonon in Greece until March 24th. I am convinced that the Spielfeld stamp in incorrect and must have been March 11th although I have no evidence.

Our van had no side windows so most of the time only the driver and front passenger had a good view.
Travelling as a vegetarian in those days was not easy and most of the time I ate bread and cheese and salad and fruit, very little hot food except eggs. 
 
In Germany I dscovered Bouillon mit Ei, a broth containing chicken or beef with an egg or two added, not vegetarian but often the closest I could get. The problem getting true vegetarian hot meals was to continue all the way to India with the exception of the occassional pizza.
 
Below is also a picture of my good friend the Late John Sullivan, another Chemistry graduate from UEA.
 

 
Bouillon mit Ei
 
John Sullivan 1972, RIP
 

No comments:

Post a Comment